Thursday 18 March 2010

Gestures and Sensation





Leafing through my new art book-'New Elements in Abstract Painting' I found an artist that has shown a light on a path that interests me greatly. The images attached are wonderful, like forgetting and knowing/experiencing something in the same instant. I find Katy Moran succeeds in fulfilling her intentions on painting: reading of her inspirations, originating from Francis Bacon, Moran clearly states what I have been trying to formulate myself.

‘They’re finished when I can see a figurative element in them ... through the paint I’m searching for the thing it reminded me of, or suggested to me, and trying to get close to that thing.’ The exuberant spontaneity of the gesture is genuine rather than contrived, Moran comments, ‘When I’m making a painting, I get quite excited by how close to awful I can push it, while getting something quite lovely from it as well’.

As a reference for her conviction that ‘somehow unintentional paintmarks convey a more convincing reality,’ she cites painter Francis Bacon’s comment during an interview with art historian David Sylvester, ‘An illustrational form tells you through the intelligence immediately what the form is about, whereas non-illustrational form works first on sensation and then slowly leads back into the fact.’-"Starting with sensation..." - great stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment