Tuesday 2 March 2010

Ambiguity

















Ambiguity - I've done quite a few paintings with this word in mind. I suppose it started with the question of how important is it for the viewer to understand fully, the reasons behind a painting. When I realised that people will always find their own connections or symbols within a piece of work I decided to play with the notion of ambiguity. Purposely using elements that were heavily weighted with symbolic power, and at the same time, possessing their own simple identity. Kind of giving the viewer enough rope to hang themselves with. It's a great device for slowing time, allowing brush marks to take on their own presence. Anyhoo, someone I looked at a long time ago when I studied at Grays, was a painter called Ansel Krut, a fellow originally from South Africa, now a Londoner working at the RCA. To get to the point please see the attach painting of his - something with ambiguity

No comments:

Post a Comment